Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day 2 of AYOAGT: April 08, 2014






Day 2 of AYOAGT: April 08, 2014, Tuesday, 932 a.m.



READER

Thank you so much for reading this blog and, in turn, joining me on a year of always giving thanks. I hope it inspires you to do the same.
And, for the record, I hope to practice this for the rest of my life. I just want to be as intention as I can be every day for a year so that it becomes a well-lived habit.

*~*~*~*~*  MAINSTREAM THANKSGIVING JOURNALING:

MY MORNING: SETTING THE SCENE AND OFFERING SOME BACKSTORY
I realize I'm supposed to be giving thanks. I am and will. But, I need to set the scene so you know what's happened this morning already. (Ugh and argh.)
I can always tell when I'm on the right track. Everything starts to go wrong. They seem to go hand-in-hand. I think there is an equation which depicts this phenomenon:
On track = trouble + challenges + anything to get me sidetracked + anything to get me frustrated + anything to make me want to stop what I'm doing
Well, I started this: "A YEAR OF ALWAYS GIVING THANKS: THE JOURNAL OF MY JOURNEY" project and WHAM! Here we go. The equation is alive and working. Now, I need to give a little backstory so you know where this is coming from. So, please bear with me. It's necessary.
Yesterday, I mentioned a very important member of our family and household. It's my beagle, Zack. He's an elder. We (my husband, B, and me) call him the bald-faced beagle since it's mostly white.  He's 14 years old. He suffers from canine dementia (canine cognitive disorder). What that looks like in a dog is they might start shaking for no reason, then they dart and start to run for no apparent reason. They forget their name and any order you give them (sit, stay, etc.) and you can tell they do not recognize you. They are confused. This isn't an all-day thing. It comes and goes.
Zack has far more good moments of the day than the bad at this point. Of course when that changes... (Fill in the blank. I don't want to write it.)
But, that isn't what's going on with Zack today. Nope. Rather, he has this thing that he does off and on where he'll wake up in the morning with a growling stomach. He is so hungry he refuses to eat. He's doing this now.
Of course I will start feeding him a little more to see if this avoids the situation. But, that doesn't help Zack now. He won't eat. He's too hungry. It's been hours since we woke. His stomach is making more and more noise. He's really hungry. But, he's so hungry he won't eat. Sigh. I've tried everything. Hopefully I will figure something else to try to get him to eat. He's acting fine other than that. I wish I could reason with him.  (It's not time to take him to the vet. I know what it is. It's the too hungry he doesn't feel like eating thing, plus maybe a little dementia. But, if he's like this until tomorrow, I will. Until then, I will try making food I know he likes and getting the house to smell good. Maybe that will bring on his sense he wants to eat.

1140 a.m.
The moment I finished writing the last sentence, I decided to see, once again, if I could persuade him to eat. Thank the Lord, he did!

11 Zack ate after not wanting to do so

Then, B called. (He's working a different schedule at the moment.)
Since then, I had to run to Target and am now sitting at my favorite Chinese Restaurant with a delightful wife and husband team who own it and cook and serve. Hence, now that I can sit and breathe, in a change of scenery, I will count some of my blessings and what I am thankful for:

12 Cell phones to be able to speak with loved ones
13 Speaking with my best friend, B
14 That there wasn't an active shooter at Portsmouth Naval Medical Center
15 Cars to ride in and get places faster
16 Target, the store. Love that place.
17 Chinese food
18 The Chinese restaurant I frequent, the business and the husband and wife who own it
19 Timeout of the house for a bit after being cooped up for two days
20 Ann Voskamp, 21 One Thousand Gifts Book, 22 One Thousand Gifts Devotional, 22 One Thousand Gifts Gift and Photo Book, 23 One Thousand Gifts Study Book, 24 One Thousand Gifts Study Videos, 25 Ann Voskamp allowing God to use her
25 Shrimp Kung Pao
26 Wanton Soup
27 Crab Cheese Wantons
28 Rice
29 That I have teeth to eat with
30 Egg rolls
31 Rain to help flowers, grass, trees, and bushes bloom and grow
32 Romans 5

It's nice to get out of the house for a while--and as I drive, I keep the radio off and soak in the quiet. There is so much noise in our lives. All of the noise means we cannot hear ourselves think. We focus on the noise, on the radio, then be quiet and think. Sometimes thinking can be painful. But, if we gave thanks, as our minds wandered to painful things, we would experience contentment. We wouldn't feel upset because we focus our thoughts on giving thanks instead.

1251 p.m.
33 Home--a refuge, safe place, a haven
34 Critters meeting me at the door when I've been gone
35 Good friends
36 Books--to read, enjoy looking at as they sit on the shelves, imagining are sitting on the shelves but really are in/on e-reader, and imagining where the words on the page will take you when you pick one of them up
37 Coffee! The smell. The taste. (I drink mostly decaf.)
38 A pretty coffee mug
39 A coffee mug bought to mark and memorialize a memory
40 The warmth of a mug of coffee held between the hands
41 The warm coffee as it trickles down the throat
42 Spring flowers
43 Cameras to take pictures, capture memories, and capture beauty

HOW HAS THIS "A YEAR OF ALWAYS GIVING THANKS (AYOAGT): THE JOURNAL OF MY JOURNEY, PART 1" IMPACTED ME SO FAR?
In other words, what do I think of my AYOAGT so far?
Would you believe I already feel a difference in me and in my life? The shoulds-coulds-woulds and must-do's, the busyness of life, the busyness of mind, the stresses, the high expectations, all of it is--easier. I've slowed down. I'm trying to live intentionally and on purpose. I'm trying to focus my thoughts on what I'm thankful for and why. Also, I'm trying to find thanks even when there is stress (need I mention Zack not eating) and busyness.

*~*~*~*~* CHRISTIAN THANKSGIVING JOURNALING:
1256 p.m.

I'm thankful for:
44 A good Bible study--one that challenges me and isn't a feel-good one
45 A good pastor--one that challenges me and isn't a feel-good one
46 A good sermon--one that challenges me and isn't a feel-good one
47 http://www.youversion.com/and https://www.bible.com/ for easy daily Bible reading on cell, Kindle, and PC

311 p.m.
My girlfriend stopped by for a few.

I am thankful for:
48 The girlfriend I'll call B2 I have in my life and her two kiddos.

49 Fortune cookies
50 My faith
51 Jesus Christ and what He did for me. What did He do for me? He lived, so he could die (be murdered actually), and because of that, I have eternal life--meaning, I get to go to heaven! He died so my wrongdoings (sins) could be forgiven. He died so I may have grace. Wow. (Wonder of Wonders.)
52 Romans 5, the chapter I'm going to start memorizing.
53 The quiet time I hope to have now of reading the Bible, prayer journaling, and then coming back here to write more things I'm thankful for.  (Funny. I just wrote: 'thanksful' for.) Also, I want to start to re-read this book:
"ONE THOUSAND GIFTS: A DARE TO FULLY LIVE RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE" by Ann Voskamp

"ONE THOUSAND GIFTS: A DARE TO FULLY LIVE RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE"
By Ann Voskamp  
I give full credit to Ann Voskamp and every book, and study she has associated with "ONE THOUSAND GIFTS," as my muse for my year of always giving thanks (AYOAGT). Thank God she has allowed God to use her and her writing.
I recommend, even if you're the type who actually prefers e-books to buy her book, devotional book, study book, and selections book in the paper version. They're ones you'll want to re-read over and over. you'll want them in your hand. You'll want to highlight them, write in the margins, etc. In fact, buy several devotionals so you can keep using it every year for the rest of your life.
I cannot recommend these enough.
See these two blogs of hers:
Also check out this link:
Get her newsletter from "A Holy Experience" sight. Trust me. You want her gems every day.
She writes in the most lyrical, musical way. She's a poet and phrases things in the most incredible way. What a gift.
The next time I teach a Bible study, I will teach this material. With B (my hubby) and his job, we move every two to four years and I will teach this material everywhere we go until I cannot teach any longer. I will teach this for decades. It's powerful, life-transforming, moving, eye-opening stuff.

HOW IS THIS JOURNEY AND WRITING DIFFERENT FROM "ONE THOUSAND GIFTS"?
1 I am only 1%, if that, of a writer she is.
2 I want to write to both the mainstream and Christian audience.
3 I'm writing my story and journey to my year of living a life of always giving thanks.

Now, let me try that quiet time thing. I got a little sidetracked.


~ Stacy Duplease
Christian, Patriot, Writer, Journalkeeper
Main Writing Blog:
AYOAGT (A Year of Always Giving Thanks) Blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment